This reaction has the same mechanism with Diels Alder Reaction.
Every carbon could have at least one R group.
Highlights and Significance:
- Diels-Alder linkages are thermally responsive, it could be used for synthesis of thermally responsive coating.
- Diels-Alder has simple conditions.
- Diels-Alder forms two C-C bonds in one time, it can improve the efficiency of polymerization.
- Amato, D. N.; Strange, G. A.; Swanson, J. P.; Chavez, A. D.; Roy S. E.; Varney, K. L.; Machado, C. A.; Amato, D. V.; Costanzo, P. J. Synthesis and evaluation of thermally-responsive coatings based upon Diels–Alder chemistry and renewable materials. Polym. Chem. 2014, 5, 69-76.
- List, B.; Grossmann, O. Catalytic Diels–Alder Reaction of α, β-Unsaturated Methyl Esters.” Synfacts. 2019, 15, 0090.